Learn Mandarin and Connect with Chinese People
Mandarin is the language spoken by about 12% of the world's population. English would account for about 5%. (Really. I looked it up on Wikipedia.)
And if you consider this population is the fastest growing body of eager consumers, I guess that makes learning Chinese very attractive these days.
Go where the money is! Right?
The Real Point
Economic drivers aside, there is something else going on when we learn to communicate with people in their own language.
We connect with them.
And these connections can make learning to speak Chinese worthwhile, in addition to our other motivations.
and more people nowadays are realizing this and seem to be doing a
terrific job of learning Mandarin.
It's quite doable!
The Awful Trap
All the same, I
believe for the many successful learners of Chinese, there are at least
as many who struggle and quit.
No doubt the reasons for this
are complex. But I believe it's best to think simply, and so I like to
boil it down to two evil spirits.
They go by the names of boredom and discouragement.
These two nasty fellows have made a horrible pact to try to get in the
way of all of us folks who want to connect with any of those many brothers and sisters on the planet speaking Chinese.
Despicable creatures, they are.
But we can beat them.
The Secret to Learning Mandarin
My Chinese is okay these days (and getting better!) Yet I have no particular talent for language. I can be lazy sometimes. And I'm not so young anymore (though you wouldn't know it to look at my youthful appearance ; )
But I do some things right and they seem, thankfully, to be enough.
- I reflect on my learning and how to do it better
- I have found ways to keep learning interesting and fun.
- I observe cultural norms and imitate them or even adopt them myself
All these can be taught or shared, and in one way or another, that's what this site is about.
Remember, boredom and discouragement have set their sights on you, whether you realize it or not. Maybe they've already been successfully making inroads.
That's ok. We can start right now by exposing some of their most common devices, and then you can get on with using this site to ensure that their tricks are rendered totally impotent.
Know that these tricksters don't want us learning practical language that we can use for real communication right out of the gate. They hate for you to feel those simple but lasting rewards when you have ever increasing moments of successful conversation.
They also would be delighted if you didn't have plenty of expert guidance about Chinese pronunciation. One of their greatest victories is when you haven't been coached properly in pronunciation and then fall flat because Chinese people can't even understand your words.
They have all these little devices and more.
But don't worry. Like I've said, we've got your back.
A Secret Bonus Awaits...
I have been living in China for over ten years now, and from meeting
people over the years, I'd like to report something:
You may be
surprised how so many Chinese people actually yearn for our friendship,
would like to learn from us, and share with us how they think and feel.
This, in my experience, seems to be a big part of the Chinese spirit.
But you're going to need Mandarin to get in the game.
Delay no further. There's so much to explore. It's time to dig in...
- Best Way to Learn Chinese
- You want to know the best way to learn Chinese. So here are my recommendations based on how I learn and what I know works for me and others - keys to being efficient and keeping it fun.
- Easy Chinese Phrases with Mp3
- Learn Chinese phrases and Chinese customs together. Listen to mp3 audio of the most useful and most interesting Mandarin phrases.
- Mandarin Words – A Beginner’s Guide
- The essential beginner’s guide to Mandarin words, including tools that will help you succeed in building an impressive Chinese vocabulary with expert efficiency.
- Learn to Speak Chinese - Essential Tips
- Here are key tips and techniques to help you learn to speak Chinese. There is no one magic Mandarin pill, but with good quality resources and sound guidance, the road to fluency is smooth.
- Beginning Mandarin - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Description: FAQ’s for beginning Mandarin learners. Best textbook? How to learn tones? How to find a teacher? Can I learn online? How long to good Mandarin? Answers to these and more.
- Learn Basic Mandarin with Simple Chinese Dialogs
- One of the best ways to learn basic Mandarin is to start listening to simple Chinese dialogs - conversations that contain Chinese phrases, words and patterns that come up again and again.
- Learn to Speak Mandarin Chinese with Movies
- Learn to speak Mandarin Chinese with Chinese movies. Valuable tips, movie recommendations and even a radical method to help you learn Mandarin with Chinese films.
- Chinese Listening with Authentic Language
- Improve your Chinese listening by viewing videos with speakers talking naturally.
- Mandarin Chinese Pronunciation - 8 Secrets to Success
- Does you Mandarin Chinese Pronunciation sound so terribly un-Chinese? Tone problems? Let me share with you my 8 secrets to sounding more Chinese. These tips and techniques are easy and fun to try.
- Chinese Numbers - The Easy Guide
- It’s time to learn Chinese numbers with our short series of interactive video tutorials. Let Audrey be your guide as you learn to count in Mandarin.
- Chinese Pronunciation - The Key to Good Mandarin
- Looking to improve Chinese pronunciation easily? With guidance from someone who has tackled those same problems, you can get past all the frustration that often comes with learning to speak Mandarin.
- Learn Chinese Writing – Enter the Magical World of Characters
- To learn Chinese writing is one of the joys of learning Mandarin. Tips for picking up pen or brush, or just learning to recognize and read characters is here in plain language.
- Chinese Radicals for Practical Learners
- Learning the most common Chinese radicals will help you learn Chinese characters faster. They will help you write them, recognize and memorize them. No complex tables – just the key info you need.
- Top Chinese Writing Symbols Revealed
- Top Chinese Writing Symbols: strength, peace, love, courage...gourgeous symbols loaded with meaning. Learn how to write them and what they really mean in Chinese life.
- Software to Learn Chinese - Download Mandarin Player
- Need software to learn Chinese? The free download of Mandarin Player for Windows will help you learn Mandarin words, phrases and sentences using flashcards and dialogs with clear Chinese mp3 audio.
- The Best Mandarin Study Tools
- So many mandarin study tools to choose from...but which is the best? Here's my unique perspective.
- Is Rosetta Stone Mandarin Worth It?
- Rosetta Stone Mandarin is expensive, so you’ve gotta’ ask if it’s worth it. I’ve come to my conclusions by playing with the software myself and by hearing from others who have used it extensively.
- Contact Us
- contact page
- 8 Things That Make My Life in China Great
- This is like a little gratitude exercise. Maybe it will uplift others as well as myself as I reflect on the eight things that make my life in China great.